Week 8 in Manufacturing News
US: NY Empire State Manufacturing Index jumps to 12.9 in February; US January industrial output falls; Pressure Points: How can the government support UK manufacturing?; Meet The Manufacturer Top 100 2019 Exemplars.
US: NY Empire State Manufacturing Index jumps to 12.9 in February
The General Business Conditions Index of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s Empire State Manufacturing Survey improved to 12.9 in February from 4.8 in January and beat the market expectation of 5.
- Manufacturing activity in NY area expands in February.
- US Dollar Index extends rally on upbeat data.
US January industrial output falls
- U.S. industrial production fell 0.3% in January, the Federal Reserve said.
- Unseasonably warm weather held down the output of utilities and Boeing slowed production of civilian aircraft.
- The Fed said manufacturing production fell 0.1% in January, matching forecasts, but December’s manufacturing output was revised lower to a 0.1% gain from a previously reported 0.2% increase
Pressure Points: How can the government support UK manufacturing?
Invest in automation – One of the biggest challenges that manufacturing faces is to generate awareness around the benefits that robots and automation can bring.
Increase productivity – Overall Purchasing Managers’ Index reading continue its ongoing slide into contraction, factory outputs fell to 45.6. The most recent IHS Markit Manufacturing PMI figures.
Smooth the path for international trade after Brexit
Vision for education – collaboration between universities and industry.
Give a helping hand to small businesses
Boosting performance – The government is supporting UK automotive and aerospace supply-chain manufacturers, having announced a £26m support programme called NMCL.
Source: Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Meet The Manufacturer Top 100 2019 Exemplars 1-7
The Manufacturer Top 100 is a project that showcases the most dynamic leaders, young pioneers and unsung heroes working in UK manufacturing, all of which have been nominated by their peers.
More information: The Manufacturer.