Global economy heading for trouble as manufacturing and construction shrink; Staying Secure in the IIoT Patchwork and other topics.
US manufacturing hits 32-month low amid weakening demand
China tariffs and pending Mexico tariffs are wreaking havoc with supply chains and costs.
Washington (AFP) – US manufacturing activity last month fell to its lowest level in nearly three years.
ISM’s nationwide manufacturing index fell to its lowest level since October 2016, falling 0.4 percentage point to 51.7 percent.
Source: Yahoo News.
Global economy heading for trouble as manufacturing and construction shrink
Global manufacturers reported new export orders fell for a 10th month running in June, with the most widespread decline for six years, according to the JPMorgan global purchasing managers survey.
So far, the downturn has been concentrated in the manufacturing and construction sectors while the much larger service sector has exhibited continued resilience, at least in the advanced economies.
Staying Secure in the IIoT Patchwork
If a single IoT device is compromised, it can put an entire manufacturer’s network and data at risk.
The following three steps can help manufacturers sidestep these concerns and maintain security standards while riding the Industry 4.0 wave:
- Evaluate every technology before purchase and implementation.
- Create a culture that supports Industry 4.0
- Update your security and recovery plans to reflect the latest changes.
Source: Industry Week.
How To Get Started With Smart Manufacturing
Focus on their key checkpoints from the MESA International Smart Manufacturing Roadmap
1. Business Strategy – Drive operational excellence, increase shop-floor efficiencies, standardize jobs and work processes, and improve transparency in process and operations.
2. Empowered Teams – Let every employee know how they can succeed through the change and how they can thrive in the new technological environment.
3. Streamlined Processes – Create smart systems that will allow operators and others to base their decisions on real-time data and with support from decision-support systems.
4. Connective Technologies, Connected Things And The IIoT – Monitor production: Find ways to connect your smart machines and collect and share large amounts of data.
Global Manufacturing Trends, Advanced Technology Leading Topics at DMG Mori Innovation Days
Innovation Days, an annual event held at DMG Mori’s headquarters in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, showcases the latest manufacturing technologies available from the global supplier of manufacturing technologies.
More information: Advanced Manufacturing.